Skip to main content

2020 Update

And I'm back! Never been the most consistent person but I do apologize for not making an entry in over a year. A lot has happened so let's catch up. 

I know I'm 7 months too late for this, but welcome 2020! I get it, 2020? Not exciting. But it's a new year and I think we can all agree, 2020 changed our lives and it still does. And you know the saying, New Year, new me. 

Last year, I was unemployed and was going through a lot of stuff. I thought that after having an experience in writing that it would be easy for me to find a replacement job. I was on a bunch of interviews for different companies but I never got in. I was so devastated. That's when I started feeling like I was not good enough to make a career out of writing. I felt like a big, fat, joke. 

Months passed and I started thinking about studying again. Besides film and writing, there is one other thing that I always wanted to do, teaching. So, I started researching on how I would be able to teach a class. Wasn't even thinking about the fact that I spent four years of my life in college doing the best I can to make sure I become a part of a production team. I used to call these times my pre-midlife crisis. 

Then, I found this organization that allows you to teach in a public school setting for two years. They allow people like me, who doesn't have an education degree teach to educate and help the students of local public schools. I thought it was a sign, honestly. So naturally, I applied, and when I got there, I felt good about myself. Felt like I was in the right place, but I guess it wasn't the right time. I met a lot of good people tho and I told myself I'd reapply the following year. 

At this point, I was already unemployed for more than 8 or 9 months. I was running out of money and patience. That's when I received a text message. You see, during the 8 or 9 months of unemployment, I would, at times, click on the ads I see on Facebook about applying for a BPO company. I don't remember the last time I clicked it but I'm pretty sure it was already months before I received a text saying that I have an interview the next day. 

And so, I went to the interview thinking I was applying for a non-voice account, thinking I was going to be offered a decent amount of money, and thinking that the job is only temporary. I thought that while waiting to reapply to the organization I was eyeing for, might as well save some money. 

Boy, was I wrong. The account was a voice account, the offer was, well... It's alright. The experience I had tho was an eye-opener. The environment is very different from the ones I got used to. The people are different too. The work is simple you clock-in, take calls, and clock-out. I met a few friends along the way, which I feel lucky to have. Time flew by so fast, next thing I knew I was already a regular employee. 

My family spent New Year's in Japan while I stayed behind because of work. I spent my New Year's Eve at home with Milo where I cried my eyes out and tried to sleep even with all the noise outside. It was dramatic, I know, but it's a New Year's Eve I'd never forget. 

Fast forward to March when the lock down started.  I was planning to leave my job already. I wanted to do something more productive, something more fulfilling than taking in calls and listening to a rants of American callers. But a week before I was supposed to hand in my resignation, the government announced a nationwide lock down due to the on-going Coronavirus. My plans on leaving was put on hold, and I did not report for work for a month and a half. 

Looking back, I feel thankful that I did not leave my job. Considering the situation the entire world is in right now, I am one of the lucky few who still gets to have a job during this pandemic. Also, an opportunity opened up at work and I'm now a trainer for the account. It's not a permanent position yet, but I'm gaining experience and I am finally teaching a class. 

So that's where I'm at right now. Oh, and, my 3-year long term relationship also ended this year. So, that's another new thing for me, I'm single again and I literally don't have the confidence nor the energy to get back out there yet, I mean, it's still fresh so maybe, in a year or so, hopefully when this pandemic is over and we survive. 

That's about it for now, see you again real soon. 

Don't forget to stay indoors, wash your hands at all times, and stay safe. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To Unlove — The Impossible

For most, whenever they get their hearts broken, they would often think that the only way to move on is to forget and to unlove. Personally, I do not believe in the concept of "unloving" someone. I've always been a firm believer that if you were able to unlove someone, it means you never truly loved them. Love transforms in different ways and can be found in different forms. You can definitely move on, but if love is real, you can never unlove.  Think about it for a moment. Think about the person you were in love with, someone you thought you'd spend the rest of your life with but ended up crying over. Were you really able to unlove them? Or did your love changed its form from romantic love to affectionate love or selfless love? What I learned about moving on is that they key to it is acceptance. We accept the reality that we fought the love we thought we deserved but it just wasn't meant for us. The memories will never disappear. It will come every now and then w

"We accept the love we think we deserve"

You can hear a quote a million times in a single lifetime but not truly understand what it means until you've finished an entire bottle of wine, and it hits you. Just like that. It's probably the wine over exaggerating everything right now, but at this point, who cares?  My sister was watching the Perks of Being a Wallflower on Netflix while I was busy talking to someone I met online. So, I was on a video chat with this girl who happened to be too occupied to have a decent conversation with me. It was a random moment when I heard Paul Rudd say "we accept the love, we think we deserve." I didn't even know that quote came from that book, I literally had to search it on google just to make sure.  So anyway, it was at that moment that I realized what the quote meant for me. You see, I recently went through a break up that I never thought I could ever get over. I'm not saying I'm over it a hundred percent, but I am better, and I know that I'm doing bette

PILI PELIKULA: Last Night (Spoilers Ahead)

Hauntingly Beautiful  - this is how I would describe Bb. Joyce Bernal's film,  Last Night , starring Piolo Pascual and Toni Gonzaga. I won't say it's perfect but in most aspects, it had the perfect elements to create something unconventional for Philippine cinema and its audience. The moment I saw the trailer I was instantly hooked and intrigued, and yes, it took me a while before I was finally able to watch the film, but since its first week I've already started hearing comments about it: On my side of the wall (newsfeed) most of what I read are positive reviews, but I guess it's because many of my friends are movie buffs so their views would be a little bit similar to mine. On the other hand, the other side of the wall seem to have heard a lot of bad reviews. I only got to read full blown reviews after watching the film because I was trying to avoid spoilers. So without further ado, here's every bit of thought I had about the film: First of all, the m